Tuesday, April 29, 2014

What happens if someone gets injured due to my negligence?

Did you know that the liability coverage on your home insurance actually extends outside of your property? If someone is injured due to your negligence (you injure someone while skiing or playing sports, or your child injures another child), you are actually still covered by your home policy?


Monday, April 28, 2014

If my HOA levels an assessment, does my condo insurance pay for it?

Colorado condo insurance questions

If damage is done to the building from a covered loss such as hail, fire, or wind, "loss assessment" coverage comes in to play. It will pay your part of the assessment up to the coverage limits, and normally only costs a few dollars per year. 
Unfortunately for condo owners, coverage does not extended to assessments caused by wear and tear issues, such as needing the parking lot repaved or the building repainted. 

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Does my home policy protect against flooding?

Does my home policy protect against flooding? 

We all remember last year's floods that ravaged Estes Park and other areas of Boulder County. If god forbid your home was effected by a flood, would your homeowners insurance cover it?
The answer is no. Flood insurance is a separate policy that is underwritten by the government. If you live in a flood plain, or are just concerned about the risk, give us a call today. 

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

My insurance company won't cover my wood roof. Help!

Colorado wood roof insurance

Most insurance companies in Colorado will no longer cover wood shake roofs. Fortunately, we have a couple of companies that will. If you or your neighbor have a wood shake roof, give us a call! www.longevitybrokers.com

Monday, April 21, 2014

Am I covered if my dog bites someone?

Colorado home insurance questions answered: dog bites

Many people don't know this, but the liability coverage on your home/renters insurance often covers the actions of your pet. Many carriers have breed restrictions, however, so make sure you mention what type of dog you have when getting a home quote from us. 

Friday, April 18, 2014

Am I covered if a friend drives my car?

Colorado auto insurance question: am I covered if my friend drives my car?

Auto insurance always follows the vehicle, so even if your friend doesn't have insurance, you can still let them drive your car. Be warned, however, that if they get into an accident that is there fault, not only will you be stuck paying your deductible, but your rates will most likely increase at renewal. 

Thursday, April 17, 2014

What is an umbrella policy?

What is an umbrella policy?

Everyone knows that your home and auto insurance policies come with liability coverage. But what if you are faced with a lawsuit that exceeds the amount of your coverage? That is where an umbrella policy comes in.
For between $200-$300/year (typically), you can add an additional $1M in coverage on top of your home, auto, rental property, or boat insurance to protect against catastrophic losses. In the insurance world, there is no better bang for your buck than an umbrella policy.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Colorado glass coverage

Colorado glass coverage: are you protected?

Did you know the average windshield costs between $200-$300 to replace? It's even more if you drive a large truck or SUV. With windshield coverage, insurance companies pay for the replacement (less a small deductible, typically $50), and will pay the entire bill for a repair.
Colorado has the most instances of windshield damage per capita. Do you have this important coverage?

Monday, April 14, 2014

Colorado home insurance saving tips

3 quick tips for saving on home insurance:

1. Go with a higher deductible- Companies look at the number of claims you have had when determining rates, not how much was paid out. If it doesn't make sense to file a lot of claims, it doesn't make sense to have a really low deductible.
2. Review every 1-2 years- Most companies raise your coverage every year automatically, even though the reconstruction cost of your home has gone down
3. Make sure that you get a quote with both your spouse and yourself as the primary: Companies take credit into account. If your wife or husband has better credit than you, it is probably cheaper to have it in there name.

Monday, April 7, 2014

What should I do if I am in an accident?

Here are some quick tips:
1. NEVER admit fault. Even if it was mainly your fault, the insurance company could still assign partial blame to the other driver
2. Call the police, unless you are on private property because they won't come
3. Take pictures of the damage
4. Get all pertinent information at the scene, such as drivers license, license plate, and insurance information. Also exchange phone numbers
5. If you believe the other party to be at fault, you file a claim with their insurance company, not the other way around.
6. Call your agent